Monday 2 June 2008

George Sampson's Dad Hits Back at Claims he Has Done Nothing to Support Him

George SampsonBritain's Got Talent winner George Sampson's dad, Brian, yesterday hit back at claims he has done nothing to support his son, who dances on the streets to raise money for dancing lessons.


According to his mum's side of the family, George has not spoken to his dad for two years. But the talented breakdancer paid a secret visit to Brian - in the hope that he will one day get his parents back together.


Speaking from his home in Warrington, Cheshire, window fitter Brian told Britain's Sunday People newspaper, "I've been denied access tomy kids for no reason whatsoever. That's just how it has been. I don't get a look in.


"I wanted to go down to London to watch George in the final.


"When he was on TV the other night it brought a tear to my eye. I know he'd love it if I was there but Lesley didn't want me to be.


"It's terrible only being able to see your son in the papers or on TV. None of my family has been able to enjoy the children for the past five years."


When George's parents first separated all five of their children stayed with Lesley, who lives in Birchwood, Warrington.


But Brian told how daughters Chelsea, 17, and Emily, 16, fell out with their mum and moved in with him. Now George, 14, lives with Lesley along with older brother Luke, 19, and little sister Rosie, 13.


Brian added, "We split because we weren't getting on together after 15 years of marriage. There was no-one else involved on either side.


"I still contributed financially towards looking after the children.


"I had nothing, no money for myself. I was sleeping on my parent's settee, but I still paid the mortgage."


Brian says he has been comforted by visits from his eldest son Luke and a secret visit from George two months ago.


He says, "Luke has been round. He came with George once too. I don't think his mum knew about it. All of this isn't really fair on George. He's a lovely talented lad. I know he loves his mum, but he loves his dad as well.


"I know George wants to come and see me more often.


"He's there in the middle with the other children. But I'll always be there for all of them."


After winning the ITV show, George will scoop a �100,000 prize and get to perform at the Royal Variety Performance in front of the Prince of Wales.




See Also